Radon is A Radioactive Gas

Your home should be a safe place for you and your family, and you most likely ensure that the doors are locked at night, that the fire detectors are functioning properly and that your family has an evacuation plan in place should an emergency happen. However, even if you are the cautious type, there may be invisible threats inside your home that could compromise your family’s safety. Many of them are invisible and odorless, which makes them incredibly difficult to detect. Here are some practical ways you can improve the safety in your home.

Radon Gas

Radon is a radioactive gas that is the second leading cause of lung cancer, according to the US EPA. Some studies have even indicated that children are at a higher risk of developing health complications due to the invisible gas. Radon can be present in the ground, well water supply sources and even building materials that were used during the construction of the home. It can be inhaled or ingested, and the best way to test for radon levels inside the home is to hire a reputable company that specializes in this specific area. Inspectors will be able to identify whether radon is present in your home, as well as the probable source the gas is coming from.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide attributes to around 4,000 deaths in the United States each year. The gas is produced from the fireplace, boiler, furnace and water heater and the most dangerous aspect of it is that it can completely fill the air inside the home without anyone ever noticing. The only way to detect if carbon monoxide gas is inside your home is to install a carbon monoxide detector; many states and cities even mandate that detectors be installed in new structures.

Gas Leaks

If your home appliances run off of propane, it is possible for gas leaks to occur. The good news about propane gas is that is does have a smell. If you ever smell gas in your home, you should immediately leave the house and call the fire department or the police. Do not turn on any lights or use the electricity either, as sparks could ignite the gas and cause an explosion.